Forum Replies Created
Perhaps I was not clear.
The flicker version is better than previous flicker version.
The problem is the not flicker version, worse than BW version.
My idea was to try a different color for the road. Perhaps a different shade of grey would improve cars recognizability.
Or perhaps different shades of red and blue.
As is, I think the game is not playable on real hardware.
I prefer not to see players colors in the chat but to see my car when I play.
At the moment, BW solution is the best solution to play the game.
Thank you for your work!
Atari (real hardware)
Tested new version.
Blend mode is better than previous interlaced mode.
I don’t like new not-interlaced mode: cars are not easy to see. Therefore I prefer previous BW mode.
If the problem is to recognize players names, you can still use BW and add a simple DLI to change colors in first and last lines.
Or perhaps you could try another road color so that cars are more visible.
You could prepare a version that lets change road colors so I can test it with my monitor.
I like new cars sliding.
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Phil.
I am in, on Sunday and perhaps on Saturday CET (like previous sessions).
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Phil.
I am not dead too, so I am at disposal.
1. When a new track is loaded, for a second you see track missing some colors or grey shades messed; disable screen before loading.
2. Reset screensaver timer when stick is moved (memory location 77, by default Atari cycles colors if for 9 minutes no key is pressed). It’s not a big problem, usually races don’t last 9 minutes and Atari color cycle is a nice feature introduced in 1979 by Atari 800.
3. In warmup message, write “1-Race, 3-Next map, Q-Quit” (add “Q-Quit”).
4. In online mode, 2 lines of characters appears when trying to enter a full server.
5. There must be a bug in Island track, today a player made 2 laps moving on the center grass.
6. When loading the game, some character appears on screen.
7. I don’t like very much title screen left part graphics (especially the face and game’s title, not very clear); in color mode it is not very good, in BW it’s worse. I think a bigger game logo and a simple helmet would be better.
8. I changed my mind. Perhaps in title screen P2, P3, P4 should be “none” by default because it’s easy to add CPUs pressing 2, 3 or 4 keys.
Great online experience!
1. In local mode, it would be nice to show cars positions at the end of the race (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th). Perhaps in Online mode too.
2. In RGB mode, in the lower part of screen, “P4” is grey, not yellow as car.
3. In BW mode, I cannot see who writes in the chat.
4. Cars start position should be random.
5. In Rally map red and yellow cars starts on the border of the road thus are slower.
6. Remove final screen when the race is ended without playing a race.
7. Reset screensaver timer when stick is moved (by default Atari cycles colors if for 7 or 9 minutes no key is pressed)
8. I’ve seen that in local mode, 3 computer cars can play. Perhaps in the start screen by default P1 should have Joy 1 selected and other players should have CPUs selected. I think it would be the most used mode.
9. Perhaps engine sound when car don’t move should be lower.
1. With “remove Q (quit)”, I mean remove Quit from title screen, not game.
2. Not only in BW mode, but even in color mode, cars tyres are not visible at the end of the race because they have the same color of background pane.
3. When a new track is loaded, sometimes for a second you see previous track missing some colors or grey shades messed; disable screen before loading.
4. In title screen I would default with 5 laps and P2 CPU Hard (mode used setup me thinks).
5. When the race is finished, you continue to hear accelerated engine noise.
6. It would be nice to start the race pressing red button (besides 1 key).
7. When the race is finished, it would be nice to offer the option to race on the same track again.
1. In BW mode, I cannot see chat words in the upper part of screen.
2. In BW mode, at the end of the race, cars tyres are not visible because they have the same color of background panel.
3. I would remove Q (quit).
4. It is necessary to disable Basic (pressing Option key); it would be better if the program disables it.
Tested the game, very good, thank you very much!
I didn’t expect chat!
1. In online play, if I insert my user name and password, I go into the game and I can play. That means that by network settings are OK?
2. In BW mode, I cannot see chat words in the upper part of screen.
3. In BW mode, at the end of the race, cars tyres are not visible because they have the sam color of background panel.
4. I would remove Q (quit).
5. It is necessary to disable Basic (pressing Option key); it would be better if the program disables it.
I think BW solution is a good solution.
Many people use CRTs.
Can you send me a XEX of a screen so I can test it on my CRT?
Instead of DLI, you could simply use 5 color screens.
Anthony, why don’t you use display list interrupts to have more than 5 colors on Atari?
Some sprites flicker is ok but an interlaced screen hurts eyes..
I use CRTs (but I have LCDs too).